Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Tales after Midnight: On The Way Back

It was almost the end of the summer holiday and Sofiq was getting ready to go back to his university on a night bus. Sofiq had spent his first summer vacation, since joining the Cadet Academy University, with his parents. After an enjoyable time, Sofiq is reluctant to bade farewell to his dear parents before he see them again a year later. However, he was looking forward to meeting his friends and get started with his studies.
After dinner, Sofiq headed to the bus station, accompanied by his father. His father, Jashim,
studied at the same university when he was young and therefore, he had experience and
advise to share with his son. As Sofiq waited for bus, his father talked to him.
Jashim: As far as you have told me, you are having a good time there, don't you?
Sofiq: University life is incredible. There is just so much freedom. I mean when I was at
the college, I always had to obey teachers. Now, I am free to do anything.
Jashim: Yes but remember, with freedom comes responsibility. You better be sure your
freedom does not come at a price.
Sofiq: I be careful, ok? I am 19, dad. I am old enough to know what is good and what isn't
Jashim: Fair enough, big boy. (grins)
Jashim realised he had to make his point to his son quickly.
Jashim: Sofiq, one more thing. Be really careful. I was at the academy before and I must say
it is a great uni but..... ( Jashim did not know how to put it to his son. He wondered
whether Sofiq will take it seriously).
Sofiq: But what, dad? Say it.
Jashim: It is just that at my time, some students died in the university. The paper put it as an
accident or suicide. Students still dying there Sofiq. Didn't a guy found dead in the Zia block's toilet on the 4th story?
Sofiq: Yeah. It is very sad. I talked to him once. There is a lot version to how he died.
I think he just slipped on the toilet hit his head against the seat cover. That did him, dad.
Jashim: So be careful. There is something dark about the place. I request that if you spot
anything strange, don't get hung up over it. Always try not to be alone. Get a
group to hang out with. Don't stay up too late.
The intensity of the conversation was interupted by the croaky noise of the arriving bus.
Sofiq had his bus arrived and it was time for him to go.
Jashim: Well, son, this is it then.
Sofiq: ok, dad. see you next year. ( He said as he boarded the bus)
The bus was old and broken like all the bus in the area. It was after all a rural town in
Monshiam. Sofiq's hostel was a three hour ride from there. It was exactly
12 midnight when the bus got rolling again. Unlike other times, the bus was not crowded.
There was about 20 passengers. Some of them Sofiq recognised as students from other
department in his uni. Sofiq settled himself at a lone seat at the back of the bus , rested
his against the side window which was partially open for ventiliation( no air-condition) and
stared out at the peach darkness. Sofiq was tired alright but he just could not allow himself
to doze off for some reason. Maybe, what his father told him was worrying him.
Why would his father want to tell him about the mysterious deaths occured at his uni?
Did he want to warn him about something? If it was what was it?
Sofiq was confused. He felt something being hidden from him. A fact? His father might have
tried to confess something but failed to do it anyhow. Sofiq diverted his thoughts to the
deaths. The death in the Zia block was accidental, that's for sure. I mean that's what
the investigation concluded. But was it possible something eluded them? Maybe. Yet,
students who alerted others upon their discovery said that they were outside the toilet
when they heard a crushing noise from inside the toilet. They rushed in and saw a boy
holding the back of his head from which gush of blood was spurting. He seemed to be
trying to stop the bleeding but failed terribly. The students who arrived at the scene
described what they saw as horrific and depressing. One of them said the boy was twitching
restlessly in pain and groaned uncontrollably in utter agony. Another there spotted the
boy's eyes were white and pupiless and they looked to have been on the verge of popping out
of their sockets. He also saw the boy's tongue curling inwards , trying move down his throat.
He said he got a grip of the dying boy's tongue as tried to prevent it from going in. One of his
friend there quickly alerted the school unknowingly. He shouted madly after failing suppress
his overwhelming emotion. The investigators from the Police Detective Department found
blood on the toilet cover and took note of the slippery condition of the toilet floor at the
time of the "accident". Yet, they must have missed something. I mean The boy was all alone
in the toilet when it happened, wasn't he? Never mind the students just outside, when he was
in the toilet with its door closed, he was indeed alone. Sofiq shuddered at his thoughts.
He tried not to think about it anymore. He started thinking about his parents. Suddenly,
he felt like crying. how fast time passes, he thought. He enjoyed his vacation. Really.
He met his high school friends and used to hang out with them almost every day of the
vacation. Most of the time they talked and laughed. Sometimes, They would play football
and hit on girls. It was great. He would come home and have dinner with his parents
while they watched the local news on the TV before he retires to bed in his living room.
Everything in his room was neat and disturbed like how it was when he left.
Sofiq missed his past so bad that he thought he had been away for ages whereas he
was for only a year. The old times, Sofiq sighed. His pleasant thoughts caused him doze off.
Everything was silent and blank.


Something is out there in the dark. I can see it. This journey is long. I wonder how long I have stay in here and consume the smell of gasoline. It is giving me a headache. hey, who are you? I did not notice you sitting by all the while. Hey, I am talking to you. Look at me when I talk to you .

Offcourse, you did not notice me , no one did. But that you have, why not I introduce myself, watcha say?

Before Sofiq could respond, he found himself looking at the hollow face of the very person he was thinking about. The boy. Died. Zia block toilet. can't be? you died.

You killed me. Hey, why don't let me eat your guts. I can smell it from here, big boy. I can smell it real good. Don't worry , I will kill you first before I eat you. This way it's a win-win situation. You feel no pain and I fill my hungry stomach. Watcha say, big boy?

Before Sofiq could respond, he saw the dead boy arch back its left hand and like wolverine he revealed his claws from the tip of his fingers. Now, it was ready to pounce.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sofiq jerked and shifted as head swirled. He looked around him desperately. He saw no one around. It must have been a dream. As soon as Sofiq adjusted himself to the reality, he looked out in the dark to see any sign which would indicate to him where was he then. He seemed to be the only passenger left in the bus. This realisation made me stiffened. Somehow, he wanted to alight the bus immediately. If needed, jump out of it. His heart was beating first in the aftermath of a terrible dream. He walked all the way to the front to consult the driver about his destination. For a moment, he expected to see the dead boy smiling smirkly back at him. But he never had the chance to find out as the bus halted abruptly. Sofiq thought it was his station and got down.

It was about 3:00. There were street lights situated on either side of the road. Although they were glowing dim, they were enough for Sofiq to recognise the place. He was here last year but in the morning. The uni was about 5 kilometres away and only transportation available in the area was trishaw. Now, where on earth am I going to find trishaw in the middle of the night. As soon as finished his thought, A trishaw appeared in the distant. Sofiq was relieved. He was very tired after an exhausting journey.

He was in no mood to argue over the price with the trishaw rider. On any fine day, Sofiq would have given a slap to a trishaw rider who charges 50 taka because no one dares to ask for than just 10 taka. Sofiq always felt 10 was still too flattering. The last time he paid just 7. However, this was no fine day. It was after all 3 hours passed midnight. Any price did not matter to Sofiq. He just wanted to get back to his hostel.

There was no room for indulgance on a trishaw ride. The space was so compact that if one ain't careful, he would come crashing down. Sofiq tried his best not to fall asleep. The headache which seemed to started in his dream was still causing him some concern. To make the matter worse, the trishaw rider started talking. He talked to himself. He talked to Sofiq. Sofiq was irritated by that. He wanted to give the rider a good scolding so that he would not disturb his passengers again but he had no energy to do so.

Finally, after 10 to 20 minutes, Sofiq arrived outside the university. His campus was still about 400 metres from there. Sofiq alighted and took out a 50 taka note. Suddenly, he thought he was struck by lightening, his throat felt dry and blood seemed to drain out of his body. Sofiq had his heart pounding powerfully against his ribs. His eyes were as wide as they can be. The rider smiled back at him professionally. are you gonna give me my 50 or not? I haven't eat anything for ages. I am hungry as hell, big boy. The rider said. Sofiq was not listening. His eyes were fixed onto the hand the rider was helding out. Except there was no hand. There was a hoof. Infact, there was two. The other one was holding the handle of the trishaw. Nothing mattered to Sofiq now. His heart seemed to on the brink of bursting through his chest. Sofiq could not breathe but he cared not. He felt his legs. That was all he needed. His legs. He ran.

He never ran so fast in his life. He could hear the sinister laughter of the rider initially. But now, the laughter faded. Fortunately, he saw his campus. He felt relieved for the moment but never let his gaurd down. Then, he remembered something awful. He left his bag there. He had all the important books and clothes there. Without it he would not survive the term but he would not go back. Never. He started looking for his campus guard. There, at the foot of the campus, he spotted the guard sitting on a chair with his arm folded, dozing off. Sofiq rushed to him and woke him up.

what's the matter? The guard said gruffly after being jerked awake.

aiya, I am sorry. I stay here. I kindda left my bag out there in the dark. Can ya come along with me so that I can get my bag. I am , well. I mean, I saw something out there, so I ran and forgot about the bag.Please. said Sofiq jerkily.

The guard did not respond and stared at Sofiq like he was from another planet. As that happened, five minutes passed by. Sofiq could not take it anymore and so, he broke the silence.

hello, uncle? you ok? Sofiq asked.

yeah, I am fine. The guard replied. But Sofiq did not believe him.

what did you see? The guard asked.

The trishaw rider who rode me here. When I was paying him, I saw he had no hands. He had hoofs . yeah, like horse's. He was no man I am telling you. He is out there in the dark and he is having my bag. Please help. Sofiq explained.

look, this is no time for the stupid pranks you students play on people like us. I don't care what you saw, I am not going out there. I have a job to do here. And the bag...

yeah. Please come along Sofiq interrupted.

nah, I don't have to. take it. The guard held out the bag with his hoof as Sofiq watched in horror.

The end.

Authors note:

THis is another ghost story I heard in Bangladesh. Infact, some sources claim it was true. If you are asking me, I say seeing is believeing. Since I saw no such stuffs, I don't believe it. However, I won't argue with those who are believers. NVM. I frankly did not really enjoy writing this but wrote it anyway because I liked the story. I tried my best to write as good as I can, hopefully you readers like it. If you don't, just don't be mad at me. I am afterall just started writing. One thing for sure, I love writing. I may not be very good at it now but I will try and get better. you readers can leave your comments on my tagboard below. -Hollard

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home